Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Mansaaf and Bacon

So today, I'd like to talk a little bit about mansaaf. Mansaaf is the signature dish of Jordan and is made up of rice, peanuts, either chicken or meat (other than pork) and this yogurty, milky, stuff. I say meat because in Arabic, they don't have a word for lamb or goat or beef, they just have the word "meat." The yogurty stuff is made from goat's milk usually and it's very rich. Mansaaf is usually eaten from a giant platter in the middle of a group of people and you eat with your hands. You take a glob of meat and rice, roll it around in your hands until it's a ball, and then pop it in your mouth. It's very delicious, I usually go with just a small amount of the milk but a lot of people here drink it straight out of the bowl, crazy.
Now, after talking about what I do get a lot here, I'd like to talk about what I don't: bacon. I can live without porkchops, and I can handle a few months without ribs, but bacon is something I've been craving for a while now. Pork is forbidden to eat in Islam since they consider it a "dirty" creature. They even have to be careful about marshmallows since those are sometimes made from pig's feet, sorry if I ruined anyone's marshmallow appetite there. Bacon is one of the things I'm going to get without delay when I'm back in the states, I know this isn't too interesting, but I
felt like venting.
This week is pretty packed, I have a few papers, an Arabic final, and the Arabic project is due next week. Good news however is that I'm done with the rap. I created it entirely on Garageband on my friends computer. The song is called Tis3a Nisa2 (Nine Ladies) and it's about how I have nine women who want to marry me but I'm having trouble figuring out which one to choose. I rap two verses and sing the chorus and my friend raps the rest (he doesn't have that great of rhythm but I think it turned out). I also edited all the music and am in the process of making the video right now. I think this is just gonna' be a ballin' project. I'll try to post the final video once it's all finished. All for now, ma salaama.

3 comments:

  1. Looks a bit different than the Mansaaf I made for your going away party. I knew mine was missing something and now I know what it was - goat's milk!! Aw well, live and learn. And, we'll make sure you have plenty of bacon to chew on when you return. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think you will steal the bacon crown from your brother?!

    :))

    Love,

    Dale

    ReplyDelete